Freckled Hen Lettuce Seeds
Grown for over 150 years, this black-seeded Simpson lettuce is delicately flavored with beautiful ruffled green leaves that can be chopped for salads or used on sandwiches and burgers. Simpson is well-adapted to a wide range of climates and is best for early spring planting. Lettuce can tolerate cold temperatures and light frost, but hot summer temperatures will cause it to bolt.
- Where to plant: Plant lettuce in an area with full sun to partial shade and moist, fertile soil.
- When to start inside: Start seeds indoors 4-6 weeks before your last frost date.
- When to sow outside: Directly sow or transplant lettuce in early spring as soon as the soil can be worked. Plant again in late summer for a fall harvest.
- Packed for 2019
- 45 days to maturity
- The seeds chosen are the very same varieties Luke & Natalie grow in their garden.
- The seeds are are easy to grow by a beginning gardener & trusted by our fellow small farmers.
The Freckled Hen Collection, inspired by Luke & Natalie's life on Freckled Hen Farm, is a thoughtful collection of goods that are both beautiful & useful. This collection is sure to encourage folks to slow down & savor the somewhat ordinary - yet extraordinary - moments of life that go unnoticed unless we take the time to really appreciate them.